Monday, February 1, 2010

No-Knead Carrot Bread...a charred disaster

Last week, I used up my Harvard BookStore frequent flier miles on Jim Lahey's beautifully photographed bread book My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method and after staying up late pouring through the intriguing recipes I immediately plotted my next no-knead bread adventure: Carrot Bread. Fascinatingly Lahey's recipe calls for carrot juice, currants, walnuts with cumin seeds sprinkled on dough. I should have listened to my instincts when I read 1 Tablespoon of cumin seeds--way too much! And the bread came out all scorched and charred and underdone inside. It must have been the natural sugar from carrot juice that caused the crust to burn like that.
Will try again as I still have half a jar of carrot juice leftover...will adjust the oven to 400, I think and bake with cover for longer time and will add far fewer cumin seeds.

1 comment:

Powered By Blogger