Monday, January 18, 2010

No-knead Bread, another winter adventure

I'm a huge Peter Reinhart devotee and have been happily following his bread making methods for many years now, but have been disappointed when I try to bake the lean bread recipes (french bread, etc.) from his book because my oven does not get hot enough and I cannot produce in the oven the steam required to get that awesome professional crust. While recently browsing the cooking section of the Harvard Bookstore I came across Jim Lahey's My Bread I remembered the NYT's Mark Bittman article on this guy and got very excited!
The beautiful crusty bread pictured in Lahey's book that has been eluding me for years was so inspiring that I went right home and gave his basic no-knead bread recipe a try.

I was a little worried that I did not have a big enough cast iron dutch oven pot (Bittman says 6-8 qt., but actual Lahey book says smaller is fine. I think have a 4 qt.) and lacked the required lid, but pot size was fine and Dave solved lid problem by using a pizza stone as a lid (Thanks, Dave! You rock!). The dough was very easy to make and I had no problem waiting for the dough to ferment (I let it go for 24 hours)--it worked well with busy schedule. I proofed the dough on my French couche and even though I used a lot of flour on it, the dough stuck a bit, so next time I will use corn meal or wheat bran to see if that helps.

The results? FANTASTIC!!!!! The bread looks beautiful and when cut into you can see large airy holes with a wonderful crumb that is just delicious! The crust did "sing" or make crackling sounds when we took it out of oven which was cool! It really tastes wonderful and looks so crusty and lovely. I will most definitely be adding Lahey's recipes to my repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe for no-knead bread from my mother's friend Fred. However, it doesn't look half as good as your beautiful loaf! ( So why did you spend you holiday loafing? Ho, ho!)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger