Monday, January 18, 2010

Winter Fun?

(Lame) People always say "Oh, you're from Wisconsin, you must be used to the cold!" Or "You must LOVE winter!!" Nothing could be further from the truth. I detest the season. I hate being cold. It makes my back hurt. It makes me sad. I can't do all the outdoors things I love doing and the darkness is so oppressive.
Well, this year Dave and I are trying to change a bit our attitude toward our least favorite season and be more positive by finding fun things to do in the snow
. So, we are getting back into cross country skiing something we both grew up doing, but have not done in many, many years. We bought some classic cross country skies early before winter so we would be all ready to go as soon as the first flakes flew and have been having a lot of fun exploring pretty snowy woods and trails in our area. I can't believe what a total body workout cc skiing is!--we are totally exhausted after a few hours on the trails especially if we had to break trail, but it feels great to breath all that crisp, clean, fresh winter air and get the heart going. Anyway, at least our skiing balances our other favorite winter sports: bread baking, cooking, and eating. Here are some pictures of our winter adventures. Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year. Here we are at Appleton Farms and Estabrook Woods.

This is the nifty ski rack Dave built to store our skies and poles.


1 comment:

  1. It looks like fun, but watch out for the snow-shadow beasts in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger